Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Labor of Love, and Cornucopia

Someone dear to me loves apple pie (that would be Ray). My dad pointed out that one of the very old, wild-ish apple trees on the property had apples mostly ready for pie-making. Dad and I picked a whole bunch of them, and I set to work turning them into pie. As you can see, they were a FAIR BIT of work. I'm extremely happy to tell you that all those spots on them were NOT worm holes, but just some surface blemish. In all those apples, I only found one worm! But still, they're tiny little apples, and it took a lot of peeling and coring to accumulate enough apple slices to fill up a pie. But as you can see, I did it! There is even a little heart on top of the pie because ... I *heart* Ray.


And I'd like to point out that ANYONE can have a "horn of plenty". Bah. Old news. You know you're really living the good life when you have the DUMP TRUCK OF PLENTY. These are just a few things I found this evening in the garden. Today is the first day we've had tomatoes (plural) to harvest. Up to now, it's been one at a time, not even every day.






2 comments:

  1. Did one of your expert dump truck drivers help you with your bounty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon's 4 yr. old class (with Cole in it) started the alphabet with A for apple and had a variety to explore, and with the leftovers, she asked me to make Apple Betty which I took to her class yesterday, B for Betty.
    I used to have to help can apples for Daddy's wormy trees. It took so much peeling and cutting out the worms. But I love apples also. I hope someone gives me some this year to make apple butter to put with homemade bread for our church's money raising auction sale again.

    ReplyDelete