Thursday, July 30, 2009

Heaps and piles of summer squash!!!

What do you do when you have way WAY too many summer squash? That basket is just what we had yesterday. Today I picked that many again.

Well, Ray found a recipe for a pizza crust that is made with A LOT of grated summer squash. Here is the recipe. You make up the crust and cook it ahead of time, like so.

Then, smother those crust pieces with lots and lots of pizza toppings!!!
Here's a look at how things looked before I cooked the pizzas. And here are the finished products.
And then, you all want to know the verdict ... It was just OK. The kids ate it without saying much. They all ate it, nobody exactly complained. But I was informed that next time I make pizza, it would be much nicer if I used regular pizza crust. I couldn't decide if I liked it just fine, or if it was a little ... too odd? Anyway, I was able to use up two baseball bat-sized zucchinis and 3 yellow crookneck squash, and that's a good thing! And if nothing else, I know the kids got their fair share of veggies yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. How unusual! I've never heard of using squash to make the crust! I might just have to make it...just because! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting idea. Too bad it didn't taste just great.

    ReplyDelete